This is the first, basic level course of our three-part program on the Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS®). The purpose of this course is to equip investors, especially institutional investors and fiduciaries to understand why investment performance standards are needed in the investment management process. It also demonstrates the importance of the GIPS Standards in addressing the challenges involved in investment performance calculations and presentations and equips participants with the skills to understand and analyze GIPS compliant presentations.
This course is not available in group live seminars but primarily online or special corporate/institutional level request.
Click to Submit Your details and Get Notified when this course Becomes Available Online.
The other courses in this three-part program are:
- Fundamental Principles of GIPS® Compliance – Intermediate Level
- Practice Principles for GIPS® Implementation – Advanced Level
By the end of this training, participants will be able to:
- Outline the structure and processes in investment management and the importance of the performance evaluation function
- Demonstrate the need for standards in performance evaluation and the role of GIPS in addressing this need
- Outline the objectives for the establishment of the GIPS and the stakeholders and their roles in the formulation of the GIPS
- Outline the formats, structure and provisions of the GIPS and the role of each provision area in addressing the challenges of the performance calculation and presentation process
- Evaluate and interpret compliant presentations and recommend corrective measures for errors and omissions in a presentation
Participants are required to have a fair knowledge of investment industry structures and activities. Knowledge of the GIPS is not required.
Participants are awarded two certificates depending on the level of participation:
- Certificate of Participation – Course Completion only
- Certificate of Distinction – Completing Course and Passing Online Test (80% Pass Mark)
This course is recommended for anyone seeking to understand the need for performance standards and an introductory overview of the GIPS® standards, particularly:
- Investors – retail and institutional sponsors
- Fiduciaries seeking to understand the GIPS® and interpret compliant presentations
- Professionals of investment management firms, regulatory institutions and asset owners, particularly in non-technical roles of sales, marketing, compliance, etc
- Other investment professionals and anyone seeking a foundational overview of the GIPS® standards
MODULE 1 – INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT & GIPS
This module equips participants to outline the purpose and processes of the investment management function and demonstrates the need for the GIPS in addressing challenges within the performance evaluation step, a critical part of the process.
MODULE 2 – OBJECTIVES & GUIDING PRINCIPLES OF GIPS
In this second module, participants will set out the objectives for the establishment of the GIPS and its key guiding principles, benefits and features.
MODULE 3 – PROCESSES FOR FORMULATION, ADOPTION AND COMPLIANCE
In the third module, participants will identify the stakeholders in the standards formulation, adoption and compliance processes and their roles, as well as outline the key steps in the standards formulation, adoption and compliance processes and the importance of each step.
MODULE 4 – FORMATS, STRUCTURE & PRINCIPLES OF GIPS
Participants will identify the various formats in which the standards come in, the structure of the standards and outline the role of each provision in addressing key challenges in the investment performance calculation and presentation aspects of the performance evaluation process.
MODULE 5 – EVALUATING & INTERPRETING COMPLIANT PRESENTATIONS
In this fifth module, participants will be equipped with the skills to review and interpret key information contained in a typical compliant presentation and identify errors and omissions in such presentations and the impact of such errors on the quality of the affected presentation.
MODULE 6 – INTRODUCTION TO GIPS 2020
This last module outlines key proposed initiatives to be expected in the next major review of the GIPS, scheduled to be operational in the year 2020
Group Live (Corporate/Institutional Only) – Half Day ( 9:00am to 1:00pm for Half Day)
Online Course Duration – TBA
Available primarily for Online Learning.